Why Are There Ants In My Denver Home?
Types Of Ants That Live In Denver
Denver is a great place to live. It is also home to a variety of ant species. To help you identify these pests around your living areas, here are some of the most common species in our area and some problems they each cause.
- Odorous House Ants: The odorous house ant is one-eighth to three-sixteenths of an inch long, brown to black, and has an unevenly shaped thorax. These pests are considered a nuisance around our homes and give off an odor similar to rotten coconuts when squished.
- Carpenter Ants: The carpenter ant is three-eighths to a half an inch long, red, black, or red and black, and has a large head with powerful mandibles. When building their nests, these pests tunnel into structures of soft wood. If your home has sections of wood softened by water damage, rot, or decay, carpenter ants might invade and cause serious structural damage.
- Pharaoh Ants: The pharaoh ant is about one-sixteenth of an inch long and pale yellow. This tiny pest regularly spreads bacteria through the homes it infests. Two diseases you might contract from pharaoh ants include salmonellosis and staphylococcus.
- Pavement Ants: The pavement ant is small, under a sixteenth of an inch long, and dark brown to black. You can find this pest in paved areas around your home when it isn’t crawling around inside scavenging for food. Thankfully, pavement ants pose no immediate threats to homeowners or properties in our area.
How Ants Get Into Homes
Ants come in various sizes but are generally small enough to fit through small gaps, cracks, and other openings found in the exterior of homes. These entry points present themselves over time as foundations shift, storms degrade building materials, and other general wear and tear occur. Sometimes ants crawl in through open doors and windows as they are not very intelligent and do not pay mind to the fact that you or others might squish them.
Some Strategies To Keep Ants Out Of Your Home
In order to keep ants out of your house, you have to both make sure your home’s exterior is sealed and remove attractants that might be drawing these pests in. To do these two things, here are some practical prevention tips to follow.
- Address moisture buildup in and around your home.
- Make sure your gutters are working properly.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures.
- Use caulk to fill in holes, gaps, and cracks in your foundation.
- Repair damage to window and door screens.
- Install door sweeps under doors leading out of your home.
- Wash off surfaces around your home, vacuum, and tidy up regularly.
- Clean out your pet’s food and water bowls after they finish with them.
- Hire professional pest control services.
For the best pest control that Denver has to offer, look no further than the professionals at Advantage Pest Management. We provide a range of general pest control plans that help homes in our area fight back against annoying, dangerous, and destructive pests. We also offer quality commercial pest management services.
Call us today to find a plan that works for you or for any questions you have about ants in our area.